By Chungmin Lee, Matthew Gordon
This booklet incorporates a selection of papers exploring the cross-linguistic expression of subject and concentration. a various set of views from the various major students within the parts of semantics and intonation are represented within the assortment, that's in keeping with papers provided on the subject and concentration Workshop on the 2001 LSA summer season Institute in Santa Barbara. This ebook is exclusive within the breadth of its typological assurance of subject and concentration phenomena. fabric is gifted from 9 languages, together with a number of which are significantly under-documented from a theoretical perspective.
The expression of subject and concentration are critical facets of linguistic conversation that introduce the content material of discourse and emphasize its most important parts. subject and concentration phenomena are complicated and contain either a which means and a prosodic part. This e-book is the 1st number of papers dedicated to the rigorous exam of either semantic and intonational good points of subject and concentration from a extensive typological perspective.
Read or Download Topic and Focus: Cross-Linguistic Perspectives on Meaning and Intonation PDF
Best semantics books
This booklet explores the big variety of instances during which the plural of nouns is lexical. whilst a plural is lexicalized it turns into a part of what it truly is to grasp a undeniable notice: pence, for instance, is lexical since it capacity a plurality of a definite variety - a a number of worth, no longer a suite of actual gadgets like pennies - and understanding this interpreting is understanding the be aware.
Allegories, rhetoric, imagery, commonplaces, cliches and archetypes are mentioned in reference to the literary paintings of authors reminiscent of Montaigne, Shakespeare, Jules Verne, Emile Zola and James Joyce.
This booklet offers advancements of discourse research in France and applies its instruments to key texts from 5 theorists of structuralism: Lacan, Althusser, Foucault, Derrida and Sollers. It can pay targeted awareness to enunciative pragmatics as a poststructuralist technique which analyzes the discursive development of subjectivity.
- Nouveaux developpements de l'imparfait (Cahiers Chronos 14)
- Grammaire des couleurs (Sprache - Kultur - Gesellschaft) (French Edition)
- Use-conditional meaning : studies in multidimensional semantics
- Metaphor and Cognition: An Interactionist Approach
- Ideology in Language Use Pragmatic Guidelines for Empirical Research
Extra info for Topic and Focus: Cross-Linguistic Perspectives on Meaning and Intonation
3. RIAU INDONESIAN Riau Indonesian is the variety of Indonesian spoken in informal situations by the inhabitants of Riau province in east-central Sumatra. 1 One of the most salient characteristics of Riau Indonesian is the absence of obligatory morphosyntactic coding for a wide range of categories which play a central role in the grammars of many other languages. In particular, there is no obligatory morphosyntactic device for distinguishing thematic roles: word order is flexible, and there is no case-marking or morphological agreement.
SAMOCHÓD kupi-á-em. ACC buy-PAST-1Msg Kupi-á-em SAMOCHÓD. ’ In (2a) the object is sentence initial and prominent, and in (2b) the object is sentence final and prominent. Although the above example (2) did not involve an overt subject, a similar situation arises when an overt subject is present (3). (3) Q: A: a. b. c. d. Kogo Jan kocha? ’ Jan kocha MARI-ĉ. PRES Maria-ACC Jan MARI-ĉ kocha. # MARI-ĉ kocha Jan. MARI-ĉ Jan kocha. ’ Again, the object can occur in its canonical position, sentence finally (a).
Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1990. Zubizarreta, María Luisa. Prosody, Focus and Word Order. : MIT Press, 1998. ARDIS ESCHENBERG POLISH NARROW FOCUS CONSTRUCTIONS 1. INTRODUCTION1 Polish, a western Slavic language, is a so-called ‘free word order’ or ‘scrambling’ language. SVO ordering has been posited to be basic for Polish (Szober 1963), and a study by Klemensiewicz (1949) found the majority of isolated sentences to conform to this ordering. However, other constituent orders are still common.